Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Kaya by DH Friesland Lannie

Today, Lannie is here to show the step to step to making  'kaya'. Kaya is coconut jam/spread/curd prepared from ingredients like coconut milk, sugar, eggs and screw-pine/pandan leaves. It is typically spread on toast or crackers or used as fillings for puff pastry.




Whisk eggs.






Sieve eggs.





                                

DH1    : Quite a lot of sugar.
 

Lannie : Yes, 1 egg 45g sugar, 50ml coconut milk, 5g screw-pine     leaves










coconut milk





             

 Sieve coconut milk into eggs










DH1 : Just 44g pandan (pinescrew leaves)?

Lannie : Actually depends how "heong" / fragrant you want your kaya. I used more.

DH2 : If frozen ah Lannie, how different is the smell from the fresh ones?

Lannie : I don't smell any difference.









Dh1 : You blend the whole pandan leaves?




Lannie : Yes, frozen and with water and sieve the pandan.





Lannie : Double boil the kaya mixture with lots of water , keep on mad whisking.


DH2 : 1 hour? Faint!


Lannie : No, only 1/2 an hour. You can pause and multi-task, I even fried ham and bacon on the pan and made lunch. Whisk non-stop so the kaya set faster.


DH1 : Around 30 mins non-stop whisking?


DH2 : I thought I saw some recipe say blend it with blender?


Lannie : Only use blender when there is lumps, real perfect kaya has no lumps.



















DH2 : Oh, like that, stir non-stop.


Lannie : Yes,..stop less than 1 min.


DH2 : I can't do this, no way.


Lannie : Actually, the more you whisk the faster the kaya set.


DH1 : Very nice colour.





DH2 : I love the colour of this kaya.

DH3 : On a cracker?

Lannie : Yes...damn "cheng" mannn...( damn good/divine good)



12 comments:

  1. This "sor tar peng" is selling over there ?? aiyo very authentic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is so tar peng in English? Jacob cracker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sor-tar-pheng is cream cracker.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. me also cannot do it! whisk non-stop .. cannot la Lannie .. uhhuhuhuh ... my tangan sakitttt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wah tuanku memang bagus ... pandai buat kek, deco, buat kaya...rajin betul tuanku ni

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the conversations most! So kelakar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Desperate Housewives can be very entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very entertaining indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my
    old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
    I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Also visit my blog :: boombeachgenerator.gq

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally
    I have found something that helped me. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete