Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring Blossoms

One day,


Me : Ladies, look at my Prunus plant blossoms, pretty huh?


Lynette : Isn't that a Sakura?


Gaby : ??!!??


Me : I don't know, a few years ago when I bought it, it came with       a tag.The label says Prunus. Sakura is in Japan!




Lynette : What's the difference between Sakura and Prunus?


Gaby : Yeah, what's the difference?!


Me : Errrrr.....Mmmm.....










Coincidently, a few days later I came across an article over blossoms. So here it is courtesy of the magazine Libelle.



According to Wikipedia Sakura is a cherry blossom plant called Prunus Serrulata. It doesn't produce any cherry fruit. The fruit (Sakuranbo) comes from another species of tree. Prunus is a genus of trees and schrubs which include plum, cherries, peaches and almonds.



My 3 year old apple tree has some blossoms too. I live on a lake facing north. Despite getting very little sun and lot's of harsh wind it is still alive and blooming. I am so glad to see this few blossoms. Now, a few apples this year would be nice.




This is a painting I painted.






Can you tell which Prunus is this?





No comments:

Post a Comment